Wednesday, June 27, 2007

4th of July projects

Click on the pictures to get a closer look!

I created 3 of these wreaths using an old idea from a Home Bureau project. I found the American flag all cotton fabric at Wally World a few months ago at only $2.00 per yard with this pattern idea in mind. I got busy and made them today. Here's the scoop:
Cut 2 strips of fabric each 12" wide x 45", with right sides together, seam the short ends together. with right sides together, fold long strip in half lengthwise, ( it's 90" in length!)sew a 1/4" seam. turn to right side, press with seam on the side. Measure 3" from seamed edge and sew down the entire length of strip. This is the hem/pocket that will be threaded onto the 12" styrofoam wreath.

Cut thru the styrofoam wreath using a serrated knife. Carefully thread the fabric hem onto the wreath, distribute the ruffles evenly. I used hot glue and patience to glue the wreath ends back together. You can use a strong strapping tape if you like. Turn raw edges under and hand stitch closed. Add a hanger for the back, such as a bone ring or pop can tab. I made the bow with a strip of coordinating fabric 45" long x 6 1/2" wide, with right sides together fold in half lengthwise. Begin at one short end and sew at a 45 degree angle using a 1/4 seam allowance, contine down the length of strip using 1/4" seam, leave an opening for turning (somewhere in the center). Turn right side out and press. Blindstitch opening closed. Tie strip into bow and hand sew or hot glue to wreath. Add flag or flowers for decoration.

2 of the wreaths were donated for fundraisers and one is for my side door.

Next is a decoration on my front door I crocheted using this pattern from Maggie's Crochet. Fun to crochet using worsted weight yarn, the flag is all crochet with pearls sewn on for the stars. The flag pole is a 1/4" wooden dowel with a small wooden bead glued to the top. The red and white crocheted striped skirt took the longest, (that is what hides the broom). Maggie's patterns are always easy to follow and well written. I love this book and hope to make a few more of the dolls!

Have a Happy & Safe Holiday everyone!

Dream In Color Baby Sweater progress

This is all I have been able to accomplish in the knitting world so far this week. Luckily I had ordered 2 skeins of each color so I should have plenty to finish the sweater. I had no problem with the attached I cord technique, easy but slow going. And I love the look, nice finish to to any project! Now if I can just master circular knitting on 2 needles....

Monday, June 25, 2007

sweater I started this weekend

"Tulips" from the Dream In Color yarn designs. Of course the yarn is sold out and instead of waiting I swatched some Filatura Lanarota Summer Soft I had in the stash from Smiley's. My gauge was perfect on the size 7 needles, so away I went! Knitted top down ( my favorite), you can see how fast this knits up, in only 2 evenings, I made it to the bottom border. It will be my first time knitting an applied I cord, I hope I can work on that this afternoon.

Oh, I ordered my pattern from here , only $1.50 shipping and very fast service!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Matinee Jacket

I've had this finished, it's Suzanne's Matinee jacket from the babysweaters yahoo group. Yvette had designed this version using 2 colors and I loved it when I saw one on her blog, so just had to try it!
I used Bernat Softee Baby in prettiest pink and antique white.

Yes, I have been knitting, working on a baby/sport weight version of the Plymouth Yarn Co. fantasy natuale Top Down Baby sweater and it's coming along nicely! I will post a picture soon, my new Dell computer is sitting here but the transfer of files etc. from the old computer didn't work. My computer wiz daughter will be home Friday to help with that. In the meantime I'll keep knitting!

Monday, June 11, 2007

Fuchsia Sweater

I finished this last night, it's a free pattern from the Plymouth Yarn Co. site using their Fantasy Naturale. I used Red Heart Soft Yarn in fuchsia.

I started out with a collar and here is the pattern:

Cast on 61

Knit 14 rows ( 7 garter ridges)

15th row: K4, (K2tog) 26 times, end K5.

16th row: K2, (YO, K2tog this is a buttonhole), Purl to last 4 sts, K4.

17th row: K4, inc ( knit in front & back of stitch) in next 26 sts, end K5

18th row: K4, purl across to last 4 sts, K4.

This eliminates the neckband portion of the pattern. continue on with Row 1 where it reads "begin pattern as follows".

I just realized you might want to place the buttonhole on the other side so just remember which end to do that!

I also eliminated rows 13-18 of the sleeves and worked 6 rows of K1, P1 ribbing.

This is the 1 year size.

I would like to try this same pattern using baby weight yarn, just have to work out the numbers and lengths.

I have another sweater almost done( Suzanne's Matinee Jacket) I'll post a picture of it, hopefully tomorrow!